FAA Approval & Advisory Circular
Logging of Time
The Advanced Aircraft Training Device (AATD) is FAA approved in accordance with Advisory Circular 61-136B.
There are no restrictions on the amount of training accomplished and logged in training devices. However, the regulatory limitations on maximum credit allowed for the minimum pilot certification are specified (AC 61-136B, Appendix D, D.3).
Refer to the specific FAR limits listed below. In general you can:
• Complete all requirements for recent instrument experience.
• Complete an instrument proficiency check in the sim.**
• You can log 20 hours towards an instrument rating.*
• You can log 50 hours towards a Commercial Pilot Certificate.*
• You can log 25 hours towards an ATP Certificate.*
*The pilot and/or instructor are responsible to ensure logbook entries are correct.
** The circling approach, landing task and multiengine airplane tasks must be completed in an aircraft.
Refer to the provided LOA for specific requirement.
• § 61.51(b)(3) – Logbook entries
• § 61.51 (h) – Logging training time
• § 61.57(c) – Instrument experience
• § 61.57(d)(1) – Instrument proficiency check, per the Instrument ACS
• § 61.65(i) – Instrument rating; up to 20 hours
• § 61.109(k)(1) – Private Pilot Certificate aeronautical experience: up to 2.5 hours
• § 61.129(i)(1)(i) – Commercial Pilot Certificate: up to 50 hours
• § 61.159(a)(4)(i) – Airline Transport Pilot Certificate: up to 25 hours
• § 141.41(b) – Approved for use under the part 141 appendices as follows:
Appendix B – Up to 15% toward the total Private Pilot training time requirements
Appendix C – Up to 40% toward the total Instrument training time requirements
Appendix D – Up to 20% toward the total Commercial Pilot training time
Appendix E – Up to 25% toward the total Airline Transport Pilot training time
Appendix F – Up to 5% toward the total Flight Instructor training time requirements
Appendix G – Up to 5% toward the total Flight Instructor Instrument training time requirements
Appendix I, Private Pilot adding Airplane Category and Single-Engine Class Rating Course Up to 3 hours toward the total training time requirements;
Appendix I, Commercial Pilot adding Airplane Category and Single-Engine
Class Rating Course – Up to 11 hours toward the total training time requirements
Appendix I, Airline Transport Pilot adding Airplane Category and Single-Engine Class Rating Course – Up to 6.25 hours toward the total training time requirements; and
Appendix M, Combined Private Pilot Airplane Certification and Instrument
Rating – Up to 25% toward the total training time requirements